Updated January 24, 2014 – I just learned that his restaurant is no longer in business. Nevertheless, please enjoy the food images!
Brea Downtown is near and dear to my heart. When I met my husband, Allen, 15 years ago he was living in Brea. The first 2 1/2 years of our courtship, we spent almost every weekend catching a movie and dinning afterward here. The very first restaurant located at 240 South Brea Boulevard we went to was Pane E Vino in 2008. Through the years, it has changed hands a few times. Two40 South opened Fall of 2011; it, too, has gone through change of owners, managements and chefs. But I am happy to share that it was for the better! The Barrel Room at Two40 South is not only looking better than ever but tasting even more amazing. It was nominated for Best Californian Cuisine by Golden Foodie Awards 2013.
The Barrel Room offers Seasonal Menu as well as regular menu. They are also extremely accommodating to anyone with special dietary needs. Just ask the server and they will make every effort possible to create a dish just for you.
Our tasting featured dishes from both. We started with Ahi Tartare (Avocado, Preserved Meyer Lemons, Garlic Parsley Croutons, Saba). I loved the creaminess of the avocado. The tuna simply melted in your mouth. And the Garlic Parsley Croutons were addicting!
We had to order the Prosciutto Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Sunny Side Egg). Egg makes everything tastes better.
All the desserts are made in house. The Creme Brulee was rich but light. I thought it was lovely that it was served with Madeleine cookies.
Once a month, there is a special Wine Pairing Dinner hosted in the private dining room. Allen and I were fortunate to have attended. The menu was exquisite! Take a look at the slide video below. But keep a napkin handy because you might be drooling. LOL!
- 1st Course – Seared Scallop (Apple Curry) – 2012 Chenin Blanc Viognier, Napa Valley
- 2nd Course – Roasted Veggie Salad (Butternut Squash, Corn, Parsnips, Saffron Lemon EVOO with Feta And Panccetta) – 2009 Dijon Clone Chardonnay, Carneros, Napa Valley
- 3rd Course – Pheasant (Caramel Pumpkin Puree, Blueberry Demi-Glaze) – 2010 Crimson Creek Merlot, Napa Valley
- 4th Course – Beef Wellington (Sauteed Spinach & Lobster Hollandaise) – 2009 & 2010 Cabernet, “Stags Leap district”
- 5th Course – Chocolate and Cherry Savarin (Vanilla Cake, Chocolate Bavarian Cream, Cherry Sabayon) – 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley & 2006 Cave 7 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
I highly recommend that you make a reservation if you can. I had a great time tasting the October event and loved every single dish and wine pairing. Special thanks to owner, John Han, GM, Kevin Hall, Executive Chef, Dylan Miller and entire staff at The Barrel Room at Two40 South for their hospitality!
Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, anniversary or the upcoming holiday, The Barrel Room is a perfect place to be. Allen and I are looking forward to our next visit. Hope to see you there.
The Barrel Room at Two40 South
240 S. Brea Blvd.
Brea, CA 92821